Let me start off with a disclaimer by stating that I come from a big Italian family. Expressive conversations, loads of food, and warm greetings litter my memories of childhood. I was lucky enough to spend a significant amount of time during the day with my grandparents as a child. My entertainment frequently centered on food, often traditional Italian antipastos or snacks.
One of my earliest and more prominent memories from spending days with my grandmother (“Mams”) was her pulling out a jar of fresh olives, and placing one on each of my tiny fingers. My imagination would run wild for as long as I could resist the urge to pop each of the little black gems into my mouth, one by one.
Olives have always been a staple in my home, so I take every chance I can get to put together a unique and tasty dish with the delicious Mediterranean fruit.
Today’s dish is a surprisingly refreshing Kalamata Olive Tapenade, made with roasted red peppers, feta cheese, and (of course) Kalamata olives.
As you can see, this dish is extremely simple, yet it yields some amazingly complex flavors when finished. With family in town recently, it proved to be the perfect snack while sitting around the couch and catching up with our lives.
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Kalamata Olive Tapenade
- 4 ¼ oz. Mezzetta Pitted Kalamata Olives, drained and chopped
- 15 oz. Mezzetta Roasted Red Peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 ½ Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ c. crumbled feta cheese
- Mix olives, basil, vinegar, and garlic in bowl.
- Stir in cheese and peppers.
- Serve with pita chips, sliced French bread, or crackers.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 0 minutes
- Total time: 10 minutes
Whenever I put together a traditional dish, or even create a new concoction that reminds me of my childhood, I often explain to Tyler about the benefits of growing up on the East Coast and all of the memories I have from when I was young. I have to admit that while they didn’t fit as perfectly as they did when I was six or seven, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to pop 10 delicious Mezzetta olives onto each of my fingers to bring me back to Mams’s kitchen during a snowy winter day.
Mezzetta is holding a #MezzettaMemories Holiday Sweepstakes through Dec. 31, 2015! Head on over to their website and enter to win these great prizes:
• Grand Prize (1) – Instant Print Digital Camera plus a Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card
• Runner Up Prizes (10) – Ultimate Olive Lover’s Gift Basket including Mezzetta Olives, Olive Spoon, Cutting Board, Olive Bowl, Cocktail Napkins and Recipe Card
Do you have any food-centered holiday memories? Let me know in the comments!