I mentioned last month that I set a goal to do better in my efforts in taking care of myself. With a nine-month-old in the house and so much work to be done I’ve found it increasingly hard to take time for me.
Are you someone who has a hard time shutting off their thoughts? If so, we’re kindred.
Life with a baby and a career has been a huge adjustment. Before Fox I lived a fast-paced lifestyle as the editor of not one, but 14, magazines. This in-office job kept me on my toes while under the constant deadlines of seven magazines printing per month.
After I had Fox everything stayed the same – except I do my entire job from home with an active, tiny explorer.
Since that day I have tried my best to maintain a healthy balance of motherhood, work, and relaxation. Not every day is perfect, but they can’t always be.
Here are 10 ways to decompress that have helped me to achieve a healthier mind and #FeelGooder.
1. Try Out a Coloring Book – Not just for kids! From travel to pop culture and home design, it’s easy to clear my thoughts when spending some alone time with a good coloring book.
2. Get Outside – Getting some air, even if just for a few short minutes, helps me to not feel so cooped up. Plus, Fox has a major thing with palm trees right now. It’s a win-win.
3. Plan Something – I do best when I have something to look forward to. Plan a trip, buy Christmas gifts in March, design your dream house – it’s an instant mood boost!
4. Eat a Snack – And I don’t mean the junky kind. There is nothing worse than feeling a slump after eating garbage. I sympathize with those who know that being busy often coincides with eating something fast. These ZonePerfect Perfectly Simple nutrition bars are loaded with protein and low calorie to keep me fuller, longer. My favorite flavor is Bing Cherry & Almond. So much yum! Oh, and they’re made right here in the U.S.A.
5. Do a Puzzle – One day Tyler brought home a jigsaw puzzle for me to work on as a way to relieve stress. I silently handed him our screaming baby with tears streaming down my face and thought, “Such a sweet gesture, but is a puzzle really going to make me feel relaxed and happier?” Within minutes of assembling pieces, that horrible feeling was easing up. The time that I spent that night trying to find the right pieces to fit into place wiped my mind blank and the end results were equally gratifying.
6. Fold Laundry – Maybe it’s just me, but both the repetitive motions and the amazing fresh smells of newly laundered clothes are oddly soothing to me. I like to reward myself by putting on my warm, clean sheets last and curling up in bed to relax.
7. Talk to Yourself – Well kind of. I started blogging as a way to give myself a hobby when I couldn’t get out of the house as much as I would have liked and I needed some adult connections. Writing my thoughts out seems to bring clarity to the surface for me. Kind of like sounding out a word, but in thought form. Admit it, you probably already verbalize your thoughts while you’re alone. Why not pen it to read later?
8. Paint Your Nails – Doing something mindless like painting my nails puts my thoughts on hold – and I wind up with a pretty snazzy mani-pedi in the process!
9. Light a Candle – There’s something about the warm scent of a candle that envelopes the room and turns everything into pure magic. Generally I love the candles that smell like fall and baked goods, but lately I’ve really liked floral as well.
10. Tune Out – If all else fails, turn off the TV, look away from the phone, and log out of your email. Give yourself a break each night from screen time and just breathe a little. It always makes me feel refreshed, even if I don’t feel like I want to.
Moving forward, I have one major goal for myself: move my “office” into my real home office and out of my bedroom! Keeping everything in the same room is making it impossible to put the work down and realize the work day is done. In the meantime, I’ll be utilizing all of the tips above to keep me happy and refreshed.
Oh, and ZonePerfect is offering my readers $1 off ZonePerfect Perfectly Simple Bars! Get the coupon here.
What do you do to decompress to #FeelGooder? Let me know in the comments below!
Great suggestions for decompression! I like to take a drive if I need to decompress. I will be trying some of these out, thanks!
Dominique recently posted…It’s Monday!!
I’m trying to treat myself better too. Believe it or not, working out has really helped me to relax. It keeps my energy up and my mood as well!
Autumn | It’s Autumn’s Life recently posted…What’s In My Purse?