The day after Thanksgiving always marks the day that we put up our “family” Christmas tree. We love the holiday season around here so we technically have two trees – one that goes up pretty much right after Halloween that’s more for show (white lights, coordinated ornaments) and one that is a total free for all (colorful lights, ornaments ranging from pickles to dinosaurs, because you obviously need those represented on your tree).
Because it’s always been just the two of us in our household we never really made a full day of Christmas activities. But this year, with our little one, we will be doing an all out extravaganza – decorating the tree, frosting cookies and gingerbread houses, blaring the Christmas music, and eating… obviously.
Some of my favorite treats make an appearance this time of year, including these amazing Peanut Butterscotchies. I first had these when I was a Daisy in Girl Scouts and one of the troop leaders brought them in. My mom made them for me from that point on and it was the first thing I requested when Fox was born! This melt-in-your-mouth recipe is unbelievably simple (3 ingredients, 3 steps, no bake).
Peanut Butter Scotchies
Yields: 8-12 bars
- 3 cups Rice Chex Cereal, crumbled
- 1 bag (11 oz.) butterscotch morsels
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- Combine butterscotch and peanut butter in small saucepan on low heat. Stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in Chex crumbles until well-blended.
- Add mixture to pan and refrigerate until firm. Enjoy!
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
If for some strange reason these delights are not polished off within five minutes in your household, here’s a little foodcycling tip: use them as a crunchy cupcake topping!
Homemade butterscotch frosted yellow cupcakes with Peanut Butter Scotchie crumbles have the perfect mix of sweet and salty.
Butterscotch Crumble Cupcakes
Yields: 24 cupcakes
- 1 package Betty Crocker SuperMoist Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 6 oz. confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Peanut Butter Scotchies (recipe above)
- Bake 24 cupcakes as per box's instructions.
- For the frosting, melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir constantly with wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes.
- Add cream and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla. Stir until thick and smooth.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, frost with butterscotch frosting.
- Crush up Peanut Butter Scotchies into crumbles and top cupcakes. Enjoy!
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
This holiday season I realized that my son is obsessed with grocery stores. He hates craft stores and home goods places (I wonder if his papa taught him that), but he was absolutely in his glory at WinCo.
Speaking of WinCo, head here for two $1 off coupons for specific Betty Crocker and Chex Cereal since I can bet you’re going to be doing some serious Christmas baking this season!
To help defray the cost of your holiday baking (or so you can stuff an extra little something in your own stocking) I’m hosting a $10 PayPal giveaway. Here’s your chance to enter!
Oh it all looks yummy… I should really get started on my Christmas baking plans.. I so far have none! You’ve popped my right in the Christmas spirit and I love butterscotch!!