DIY Featured

DIY Springtime Clay Ring Tray

March 8, 2021

This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a small stipend for any purchases made through links on this page which help me to keep my website up and running.

Read ahead to learn how to make a simple clay ring tray!

What comes to mind when you think of spring?

For me, I see light and airy spaces, fresh starts, new signs of life.

Kind of like Lynne of My Family Thyme’s easy spring floral wreath!

When my friends and I joined together again last year for the Celebrate Spring Blog Hop, I shared my Blue Modern Farmhouse Spring Breakfast Nook Decor. This year I wanted to get my hands a little bit dirty, so I opted to work with a medium I’ve been dying to get my hands on: air-dry clay!

I remember working with clay in middle school to shape bowls in art class, but the teacher fired each piece with an industrial kiln. Every time I passed this clay at Target or the grocery store, my mind went haywire thinking of all the possibilities. I didn’t want to go too lofty for my first go, so a simple ring tray seemed to make the most sense for my initial project.

Here’s what you’ll need:

Supplies

• Air-dry clay
  • Parchment paper or Silpat
  • Small bowl
  • Rolling pin
  • Faux greenery

Instructions

1. Lay parchment or Silpat on flat surface. Roll out enough clay to accommodate the size of your ring tray.
  2. Place your bowl upside down on top of clay and press down, removing excess, as if the bowl is a cookie cutter.
  3. Turn bowl right side up and fill with a bit of warm water. Curl edges of new circle cut-out upwards and use warm water and fingers to smooth out edges and imperfections.
  4. Press greenery into clay and leave to air-dry for up to 2 days. Routinely come back to press greenery into clay as it’s drying, as the clay will push it out as it’s drying.

And there you have it, a simple DIY spring clay ring tray!

Be sure to check out Leigh of The Little By Little Home’s simple elegant spring tablescape along with the rest of the creative ladies participating in this year’s Celebrate Spring Blog Hop below!

The Little by Little Home // Worthing Court // Aratari at Home
What Meegan Makes // The Roots of Home

Sarabeth, The February Fox

You Might Also Like

41 Comments

• Reply Easy Spring Floral Wreath March 10, 2021 at 11:38 pm

[…] sure and stop by my friend Sarabeth’s blog, The February Fox.  You won’t believe the DIY ring tray she’s sharing.  It’s simply […]

• Reply DIY Vintage Farmhouse Style Bunny Decor - Zucchini Sisters March 11, 2021 at 6:00 am

[…] Today is all about spring DIY ideas. If you’re stopping by after a visit with Sarabeth from The February Fox, welcome! Her clay ring tray is so pretty and […]

• Reply Patti March 11, 2021 at 7:10 am

Sarabeth I love anything created with nature and your clay jewelry dishes are beautiful. They would make a great gift and a practical one at that.

• Reply Leen Curinga March 11, 2021 at 7:22 am

I didn’t realize until I read the post that you used actual greenery, I thought it was painted on.
    I have a tub of this clay and now I can’t wait to use it with pickings from my yard!
    Did the white flower one turn out as cute and the leaf one?

• Reply Paula@SweetPea March 11, 2021 at 7:57 am

Like Leen, I thought you painted on the greenery. I was surprised that you used faux flowers and greenery and pressed them into the clay. I love the end result and want to try this for myself. It would be a great craft for kids or teens to enjoy. I’m sharing this on my FB page this morning.

• Reply Cindy LONG March 11, 2021 at 8:34 am

Such a cute project Sarabeth! I discovered air dry clay last year and it’s so fun to work with! I love the sprig of greenery that you pressed into it! Will definitely have to try that next time!

• Reply Vicki and Jenn 2 Bees in a Pod March 11, 2021 at 8:54 am

Oh my gosh Sarabeth – as lovers of air dry clay projects, we never even thought about doing this! Love the look of the delicate fern especially. Thanks so much for sharing your great idea! Happy Spring!

• Reply Cindy@CountyRoad407 March 11, 2021 at 10:39 am

How in the world have I never seen clay like this before?! So pretty and what a great project. Seems like I could turn into an artsy person! LOL. Great idea. Pinned

• Reply Kelly March 11, 2021 at 10:48 am

Hi Sarabeth. Happy Spring. I love the spring spin you put on your ring dish. Air clay is so much fun to work with… I just did a project with some polymer clay. Anywho, I live in upstate New York for many years while in High School. I miss the beautiful foliage and the east coast. Nice to virtually meet you via the blog hop. Cheers.

• Reply Jen @ Noting Grace March 11, 2021 at 11:28 am

Sarabeth – this is the cutest idea I’ve ever seen! I’ve never worked with clay and now I’m totally inspired! Love this – pinned so I won’t forget this awesome idea!

• Reply Dara - The Roots of Home March 11, 2021 at 11:58 am

This is so creative, Sarabeth! My kids make stuff with clay all the time. But now I want to try!

• Reply Carena Ennis March 11, 2021 at 2:04 pm

My daughter just tried a project with air dry clay. I am going to show this to her! She will love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Reply Sonya March 11, 2021 at 4:01 pm

I love what you did with the clay, such a great idea and would make the perfect gift. I can’t wait to give this a try.

• Reply Meegan March 12, 2021 at 1:43 am

I have been wanting to try using this type of clay. Thanks for sharing your post with a step by step tutorial. It has given me the confidence to make something soon. I love how you used the greenery. It all looks so natural.
    Have a great weekend, Sarabeth.

• Reply Kelly Radcliff March 12, 2021 at 10:06 am

Oh my word I love this! So simple…and my kids have this in their craft supplies?! I will be trying this. Thank you!!!

• Reply Lindsay Aratari March 12, 2021 at 1:51 pm

I need to make some of these! They are so fun!!!

• Reply Julie Briones March 12, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Silly me… I had to go re-read the post and find out that you used faux florals, not real! At first I was thinking “That’s going to look awful after a week!” I should have known better! Great idea using fauxs! And I love your DIY! Pinning, and so fun working with you on the tour!
    Julie Briones recently posted…Tuesday Turn About #90 Spring UpdatesMy Profile

• Reply Libbie@alifeunfolding March 13, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Such a simple and pretty DIY, this would make a great Mother’s Day gift too! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Carol@Blueskyathome March 14, 2021 at 2:04 pm

Sarabeth, I haven’t thought about making things with clay since my kids brought handmade treasures from camp. What a cute idea. Love the motif you added. Happy Spring.
    Carol@Blueskyathome recently posted…5 Favorite Fabulous Spring and Easter TablescapesMy Profile

• Reply Lynne March 15, 2021 at 9:09 pm

Sarabeth, these clay ring trays are simply beautiful! I have never worked with clay before, but you have inspired me to give it a try! It was so fun to hop with you. Happy Spring!

• Reply Rebecca March 18, 2021 at 8:14 pm

Sarabeth, I’ve been wanting to try air dry clay for some time now. It’s great that no kiln is required. My daughter will love this simple craft…we’ll definitely be trying it soon. Thanks for the inspiration! It was nice to “meet” you on this hop. Happy Spring!

• Reply jassica August 12, 2021 at 3:20 am

Lovely delious look of fern .
    Its a best of the day .
    You made my day
    thanknyou so much for this
    jassica recently posted…Takagi Tankless Water Heater Reviews 2021, FAQ’s and Buyer GuideMy Profile